January 9, 2022
What Are Solar Panels Made of, and How Are They Made?
What Are Solar Panels Made of?
- Monocrystalline silicon panels are made from a single crystal. They are the most efficient solar panels, but they’re also the most expensive.
- Polycrystalline silicon solar cells are made from multiple silicon crystals melded together. They’re not quite as high-efficiency as monocrystalline panels, but they’re a more budget-friendly rooftop solar option.
- Thin-film solar cells are made from amorphous silicon, which makes them the most flexible Solar Panels but also the least efficient.
Why Are Solar Panels Made with Silicone?
- Silicone is abundantly available and affordable as an elemental material, making it good for large-scale systems.
- Chemically and electronically speaking, silicone is quite easy to optimize for the photovoltaic effect that efficiently converts sunlight into electricity.
- As a component material, silicone is recognized as having a long lifespan, making the investment in Solar Panels even more fruitful.